Notts Youth Team win 3-1 against top of the league, Grimsby

David Fell’s brings us up to do date with the latest from the youth team…

This morning at a wet and windy Highfields, Notts U18s had a tough game in store as they came up against Grimsby Town U18s who sat proud at the top of the table having lost only a single league game so far this season.

Recently Notts had struggled to score goals, scoring only two in the last five games so it was good to see the return of Kion Etete who has been away from the team for the last few weeks due to numerous appearances with the first team squad.

The strength of the team was hit on Tuesday afternoon when left back/midfield Tyreece Kennedy-Williams was injured playing for the U23 team against Newcastle at Ilkeston, where had to be stretchered off. Hopefully he will have a speedy recovery.


Max Culverwell

Stern Irvine, Oscar Ramirez, Owen Betts, Leo Marshall

James Snedden, Charlie Wilde, Kieran Cummings

Mazhi Simmons, Kion Etete, Corey Bucalossi


Duncan Coden, Tieran Brooks, Syme Mulvany, Kayne McKenna, Jack Henchcliffe

The game immediately burst into life with a good chance at each end of the ground. First, a clear cut chance for Notts which they failed to take, only for Grimsby to charge to the opposite end of the ground and fire in a good goal and take a 0-1 lead in the first couple of minutes.

Ten minutes later and Notts are so close to an equaliser as Oscar Ramirez hits one against the cross-bar from a corner. Following that chance it was an even game with both teams creating the occasional half chance.

On about 35 minutes Notts do find the equaliser when Charlie Wilde bursts into the box and fires home into the bottom corner of the net. A couple of minutes later Notts ‘keeper Max Culverwell pulled off a fine save to keep the home team level.

Almost on half-time a James Snedden free kick is sent past the Grimsby ‘keeper by Kion Etete.

HT Notts 2-1 Grimsby

Notts were the better team in the early part of the second half and on the hour a good powerful run from substitute Coden Duncan who then passed to Kion Etete who curled a lovely left footed shot curling around the defenders and just inside the far post for a cracking Notts goal and a 3-1 lead.

Fifteen minutes from the end and only an outstanding save from the Grimsby ‘keeper prevented a firm header from Kion Etete completing his hat-trick.

FT Notts 3-1 Grimsby

A cracking and well deserved win for the young ‘Pies over the league leaders.

At the start of the game only two teams in the league had scored fewer goals than Notts – Scunthorpe and bottom club Huddersfield – but the difference when they have that target man makes the whole team look much more balanced and the return of Kion did that today – a handful all afternoon.