More Misery for the Magpies in darkest Essex.


With thick fog around the ground the 260 odd magnificent Magpie fans were hoping to see their team find their way out of the darkness that seems to be shadowing our club at the moment.

Different sections of the Notts fans were voicing their opinions before kick off about the clubs ownership and also the leadership of the club, some pleading for change and some pledging their support for the owners.

When the game started it was as dull as the weather here in Essex with very little skill or urgency shown from either side, the main bright light of the day was to see Cutis Thompson back in action, he was included in the side along with Elliott Hewitt, Thiery Audel and Jordan Richards, it seemed that John Sheridan had gone for more pace and energy in the side, with Louis Laing, Haydn Hollis and Adam Campbell dropping to the bench with skipper Michael O’Connor out suspended.

The game was very scrappy and no real goal mouth incidents until the 17th minute when Dickinson sent over a corner which was headed on by Richard Duffy and the ball fell to the unmarked Hewitt who made no mistake heading in to give the Magpies the lead.

Colchester started to get more into the game after the early setback with Richard Brindley causing Carl Dickinson problems with his pace, on many occasions he left the full back stranded and got crosses into the box which Notts were dealing with comfortably until the 24th minute when again he beat Dickinson and sent over a perfect cross for the ever dangerous Kurtis Guthrie to head past Collin to level the scores.

Curtis Thompson was working tirelessly trying to push Notts forward with Matt Tootle trying to over lap down the right but the final ball was not good enough to cause the strong and powerful back line of Tom Eastman and George Elokobi any trouble, the half petered out with a whimper

with both sides barely troubling their opponents.

The second half was very similar to the first, with very little action in either goal mouth, Jon Stead was working hard and trying to bring others into the game but with Forte being well shackled by the Colchester defence there was very little action to raise the expectations of the fans.

Tom Eastman was pulling the strings from midfield for Colchester and on 65 minutes Vadaine Oliver was introduced for Jonathan Forte to try and unsettle the strong Colchester defence, with 20 minutes to go Dickinson beat Brindley and broke into the box and from a tight angle hit a shot that was well saved by Sam Walker with ball going out for a corner, from the resulting corner Carl Dickinson headed over the bar from a few yards out, then on 77 minutes the inevitable happened,

Colchester were awarded a free kick 25 yards out, the kick was blocked and it was inevitable that the loose ball was picked up by a Colchester player as Notts had switched off once again, the ball was driven across goal and cannoned off the unfortunate Duffy past the stranded Adam Collin in goal to give Colchester the lead, once again another game was slipping through our fingers.

With Notts 2-1 down and time running out the Notts supporters were surprised as Louis Laing replaced the tiring Curtis Thompson, many thought the speed and skill of Arron Collins would have been a more logical choice as the Colchester defence were big and strong but they were not very mobile. A few moments later Adam Campbell replaced Jordan Richards as the final substitute, Notts huffed and puffed but with little end product, Adam Collin made a fine save in the final minutes to stop Colchester from making it more embarrassing for Notts.

As the final whistle was blown and another defeat, making it 6 league defeats on the trot, many fans were saying that Notts County are in a real scrap to keep their league status, as this side does not have the desired skill, mental strength or fight to move our beloved club from this precarious position we find our selves in.

Melvyn Watson


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *