Dream Journey to Stamford Bridge ended at Peterborough.


The same old defensive frailties at the back cost Notts County dearly in this televised 2nd round FA cup replay at Peterborough, the game was only 2 minutes old when Peterborough had the freedom of the park on the right and a fine pin point cross was headed home by Gwion Edwards who had nipped in between two Notts defenders who did not sense any danger and gave Scott Loach no chance from a few yards out, within another six minutes Notts looked dead and buried as the classy Paul Taylor surged from the half way line leaving Jordan Richards in his wake and the Notts defence parted like the Red sea and Taylor continued his run before unleashing a brillingshot into the top corner of the net to give Peterborough a 2 nil lead, the 475 Notts fans were dumb founded and were expecting the flood gates to open.

Notts had made 3 changes from the defeat at Colchester, with Scott Loach coming in for Adam Collin and Smith and Hollis replacing Dickinson and Hewitt, Notts now needed to show courage and spirit after their disastrous start, the magnificent travelling fans were right behind their team and gave superb vocal support, this seemed to spur the team on as they had several chances to get back in the game with Thiery Audel having a good header cleared off the line by Tom Nichols then the hard working Rob Milson had a shot blocked, the game could have turned on 35 minutes when Jon Stead was adjudged to have been brought down by Luke McGee the Peterborough goal keeper, but Jon Stead’s penalty was well saved by the home keeper, as Stead pounced onto the rebound his shot was brilliantly blocked by alert Peterborough defenders, from the resulting corner Haydn Hollis should have done better but his shot was well saved by the keeper again.

The second half started with Peterborough on the front foot again, and Scott Loach made a couple of fine saves to keep Notts in with a chance, Alan Smith was working tirelessly in midfield and his tigerish challenges made the Posh players move the ball on as quick as possible when ever the General was in sight, Curtis Thompson was working very hard to make things happen for Notts he and Milson were finding space with their forward movement and a fine pass found Jon Stead unmarked at the far post but his effort again was saved by McGee, this was encouraging Notts forward in numbers and a fine pass sent Jonathan Forte clear wide on the left and his fine lob over the keeper came back off the cross bar, this summed up Notts luck so far, Notts made 3 changes within 14 minutes Campbell, Oliver and Collins replacing Richards, Stead and the brilliant Alan Smith who had worked his socks off all evening.

With time running out and Nottts pushing forward at every opportunity, gaps were left for the Peterborough forward to exploit, only a couple of fine last ditch tackles from Richard Duffy and a couple of very smart saves from Loach kept Notts in the game.

At the end Notts realised that it was their dreadful start to the game that had gifted Peterborough the dream tie away at Chelsea in the next round.

The magnificent away support showed their appreciation at the end by singing and applauding the side as they left the pitch, supporters were saying that if Notts can match this battling, fighting display in the league and not concede silly early goals then things look much brighter for Notts County.

Lets all hope it is onwards and upwards for Notts in the coming months.

Melvyn Watson


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *